Thursday July 19, 2018
- 1:00pm - 1:45pm: Image Comics booth #2729
- I'll be signing/selling copies of Moonstruck Volume #1!
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm: Room 23ABC
- We Believe in Fantasy
- Creators conjure magic on a monthly basis, stretching the boundaries of reality to explore resonant themes under a veneer of high fiction. This group of creators has taken a legacy of wands, wizards, and incantations and tailored it to a modern context where shape-shifting teen baristas search for missing love and reckless rockers parley with infernal forces. Let this panel of spellbinding talent, including Charles Soule (Curse Words), Sam Humphries (Blackbird), Grace Ellis (Moonstruck), Jeremy Haun (The Realm), Johnnie Christmas (Firebug), Megan Hutchison (Rockstars), and other special guests, enchant you as they explain the alchemy behind their latest comics.
Saturday July 21, 2018
- 6:00pm - 8:00pm: Room 29AB
- Out in Comics 31: The Next Generation
- The comic world's longest-running convention panel begins its 31st year with a name change from "Gays in Comics" to a more expansive "Out in Comics." As more and more LGBTQ or LGBTQ-friendly creators create mainstream comics, films, and TV shows, what does that mean for diverse representation, characters, and storylines? In our politicized and sometimes polarized world, what kind of heroes do we need on the page and screen and behind the scenes? Founding moderator and bestselling author Andy Mangels (Wonder Woman ‘77 Meets The Bionic Woman, Star Trek and Star Wars books and comics) again chairs the panel and welcomes: James Tynion IV (best-selling author of DC's Detective Comics and Justice League Dark, and Boom!'s The Backstagers and GLAAD-award-winning The Woods); Tillie Walden (the award-winning On a Sunbeam, Spinning, I Love This Part, from Avery Hill Publishing); Tony Breed (Muddler's Beat webcomic and collections); Dana Simpson (NY Times best-selling author of the seven-book-and-counting Phoebe and Her Unicorn series); Steve MacIsaac (writer/artist of Northwest Press's new GN Unpacking, as well as the long-running Shirtlifters series); Christina "Steenz" Stewart (editor at Lion Forge Comics, creator of STL's Comics University, artist of Oni's Archival Quality); Grace Ellis (co-creator Boom!'s award-winning Lumberjanes and Image's Moonstruck, writer of animated Bravest Warriors); Tess Bodley (showrunner for the upcoming toon Klutz Muttz, Emmy-nominated producer for The Ellen Degeneres Show); and a special video message from cinema's first gay superhero Surge, star of Surge of Power: Revenge of the Sequel! The panel will be followed by a brief Prism Comics Fan Mixer, allowing GLBTQ and allies to meet and mingle!