My hometown show! This show rules.
I’ll be at Table #22 with Shae Beagle and a bunch of copies of Moonstruck. On Saturday, I’ll be on a panel at 2pm about writing for an LGBTQ audience, and on Sunday, there’s a Moonstruck spotlight panel at 1:30pm. See you then!
Presented by Image Comics, the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, and The Graphic Novels and Comics Round Table of the American Library Association, join us on Twitch for what the event’s press release is calling, “a freewheeling discussion on creativity, freedom of expression, and the power of storytelling that library patrons around the world will be able to enjoy!”
(We’re gonna talk about free speech and book banning; it’ll be a blast!)
Thursday July 19, 2018
- 1:00pm - 1:45pm: Image Comics booth #2729
- I'll be signing/selling copies of Moonstruck Volume #1!
- 2:00pm - 3:00pm: Room 23ABC
- We Believe in Fantasy
- Creators conjure magic on a monthly basis, stretching the boundaries of reality to explore resonant themes under a veneer of high fiction. This group of creators has taken a legacy of wands, wizards, and incantations and tailored it to a modern context where shape-shifting teen baristas search for missing love and reckless rockers parley with infernal forces. Let this panel of spellbinding talent, including Charles Soule (Curse Words), Sam Humphries (Blackbird), Grace Ellis (Moonstruck), Jeremy Haun (The Realm), Johnnie Christmas (Firebug), Megan Hutchison (Rockstars), and other special guests, enchant you as they explain the alchemy behind their latest comics.
Saturday July 21, 2018
- 6:00pm - 8:00pm: Room 29AB
- Out in Comics 31: The Next Generation
- The comic world's longest-running convention panel begins its 31st year with a name change from "Gays in Comics" to a more expansive "Out in Comics." As more and more LGBTQ or LGBTQ-friendly creators create mainstream comics, films, and TV shows, what does that mean for diverse representation, characters, and storylines? In our politicized and sometimes polarized world, what kind of heroes do we need on the page and screen and behind the scenes? Founding moderator and bestselling author Andy Mangels (Wonder Woman ‘77 Meets The Bionic Woman, Star Trek and Star Wars books and comics) again chairs the panel and welcomes: James Tynion IV (best-selling author of DC's Detective Comics and Justice League Dark, and Boom!'s The Backstagers and GLAAD-award-winning The Woods); Tillie Walden (the award-winning On a Sunbeam, Spinning, I Love This Part, from Avery Hill Publishing); Tony Breed (Muddler's Beat webcomic and collections); Dana Simpson (NY Times best-selling author of the seven-book-and-counting Phoebe and Her Unicorn series); Steve MacIsaac (writer/artist of Northwest Press's new GN Unpacking, as well as the long-running Shirtlifters series); Christina "Steenz" Stewart (editor at Lion Forge Comics, creator of STL's Comics University, artist of Oni's Archival Quality); Grace Ellis (co-creator Boom!'s award-winning Lumberjanes and Image's Moonstruck, writer of animated Bravest Warriors); Tess Bodley (showrunner for the upcoming toon Klutz Muttz, Emmy-nominated producer for The Ellen Degeneres Show); and a special video message from cinema's first gay superhero Surge, star of Surge of Power: Revenge of the Sequel! The panel will be followed by a brief Prism Comics Fan Mixer, allowing GLBTQ and allies to meet and mingle!
"Learn about the world of comics from Grace Ellis, co-creator of bestselling comic Lumberjanes. Participants will create short comic strips, building their own characters and worlds, and will learn about careers in comic books. This is a two part program on June 26 and July 10. Ages 12-17"
For more information, visit the Columbus Metropolitan Library event page.
Saturday, June 23
- Meet the Creators: Shae Beagle & Grace Ellis 2:50p-3:50p / Exhibit Hall, Image Comics, Inc. Booth #549 - Creators set up at the Image booth for a 1 hour signing preceding their Romance Comics panel.
- Image Comics - Fall in love with Romance Comics! 4:00p-5:00p / Morial Convention Center, Meeting Rm 278 Fall in love again… with comics! From puppy love to senior sweethearts, Image Comics is bringing readers a romance comics renaissance. Join authors and artists as they discuss the history of romance comics, their work in the genre, and share previews of new and upcoming titles. Session includes an audience Q&A and a chance to win a set of featured titles!
Sunday, June 24
- YALSA’s YA Author Coffee Klatch 8:30a-10:00a / Hilton Riverside, Meeting Rm Camp Room The Coffee Klatch is a ‘speed dating’ style event where authors sit at a table with 8 librarians and talk to them about upcoming projects. Every 4 minutes we blow a whistle and they move to another table.
Exhibit Hall, Image booth #2206
Signing with Shae Beagle
Meeting Room, Mile High 4A
Image Adventure Comics: Planes, trains, and automobiles... and dragons?! Image comics is pulling out all the stops with adventure stories for kids of all ages. Authors and artists present new titles that will have you making magic with your friends, soaring through the sky, braving epic quests, engaging in international intrigue, and fighting bears! Bears?! BEARS.
Exhibit Hall, PopTop Stage
Infinite Words For Young Readers: Known for the variety and quality of their mature titles, Image is bringing the best and the brightest to an expanding catalogue of youth-oriented books. Creators working across a wide range of topics and styles will discuss their exciting new projects and talk about what it’s like to work in the fantastic and fun world of comics for the younger set!
Exhibit Hall, Image booth #2206
Meet 'n Greet with Shae Beagle
Thursday, 7/20/17, 12p.m. - 2p.m., ROOM 7AB
The Pitching Hour
Patrick Schumacker (Producer, POWERLESS), ,Derek Hoffman (VP, Donner Co.), Jaime Burke, (Exec Producer, Sequestered ) ,Grace Ellis (writer, LUMBERJANES, MOONSTRUCK), a surprise guest or two and your moderator Dan Evans III (VP Television, DC Entertainment) will take an idea from conception through production for various media. This process will include creating a pitch document, obtaining agents, and getting a pitch meeting. The panelists will explain, through hypothetical example and humorous stories, the process that new creator should adapt to make their way through the creative battleground of the entertainment industry. Knowing that each project is unique, there will be a Q&A to allow the audience to really hone in on the solutions to obstacles they may encounter. Also on hand will be Brendan McFeely (IP lawyer, Kane Kessler) to give creators insight on protecting their ideas as they navigate Hollywood!
Thursday, 7/20/17, 5p.m. - 6p.m.: signing at the Golden Apple booth (Booth #1806)
Friday, 7/21/17, 10a.m. - 11a.m.: signing at the Image Comics booth (Booth #2729)
Sunday, 7/23/17, 11a.m. - 12p.m.: signing at the Image Comics booth (Booth #2729)
Sunday, 7/23/17, 1:45p.m. - 2:45p.m., Room 5AB
Image Comics: Your New Favorite Series
What's your favorite book from Image Comics? Are you ready to meet your next favorite series? Drop in on this panel and listen to Cullen Bunn (Regression), Jim Mahfood (Grrl Scouts), Grace Ellis (Moonstruck), Shae Beagle (Moonstruck), and Brandon Thomas (Horizon) tell you about their new projects, discuss creating, and recommend favorite comics of their own.